|Aloo Tikki Recipe|
Aloo Tikki Recipe- Aloo Tikki is a very common chaat easily founded on the streets of North India. Tikki can be made out of many ingredients like dalia tikki, vegetable tikki, etc; but aloo tikki is one of the most common in this category. Served with variety of chutneys it is a perfect option for a kitty party or any other gathering.
Mixing chana dal in the tikki masala is a secret twist that many chaat walas use to make their recipe crisp and interesting.
Potatoes (Aloo)- 1/2 kg
Chana dal-3 table spoon
Cumin seeds-1 table spoon
Chaat masala-1 tea spoon
Red chilly powder-1 tea spoon
Coriander powder-1 tea spoon
Garam masala- 1 tea spoon
Amchur (mango powder)- tea spoon
Oil- to shallow fry
Imli chutney-1/3 cup
Dhaniya chutney-1/4 cup
Chhole (kabuli chana)- 1 cup (optional)
chopped onion-1/2 cup (optional)
- Wash, boil and peel off potatoes to get ready for making final dish.
- Soak chana dal in water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat a spoon of oil in a pan and roast soaked chana dal for a minute and keep it aside.
- Dry roast cumin seeds and grind it with rolling pin to make its powder.
- Mash the potatoes to make fine aloo pithhi. Add salt to the pithhi and mix well. (You can add a spoon of all purpose flour/ corn flour to the pithhi for better binding if pithhi is loose.)
- For making nice masala filling for tikkis, add salt, roasted cumin seed powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, amchoor powder, garam masala and roasted chana dal to 1/4th of the aloo pithhi.
- With wet hands, take a spoon of aloo pithi and spread it on your hand to make a flat patty. Fill it with half spoon of filling. Nicely close the patty to make small round tikki of around 2 inch diameter.
- Similarly make all the tikkis and keep a side.
- Heat 5-7 spoons of oil on non stick flat pan and place all the tikkis for shallow frying. (Oil is to be added again and again for frying.)
- Once tikkis are turned to golden brown from both the sides, press them with spatula to flatten them. This will give a nice crisp to the tikkis.
- Continuously turn tikkis at low flame and add required oil until they turn to brown.
- To serve, place the tikkis in a serving plate. Add diluted curd, chaat masala, imli chutney and dhaniya chutney.
- Aloo Tikki (Patties) is ready to be served.
- Optionally you can add kabuli chana to the dish to try tikki chhole.